Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Cleaning the Masi

Monday was a rest day so I cleaned my bike. For 5 months it was sitting in the garage collecting dust and rusting away. I should have cleaned it before riding it but I was too eager to ride. I did noticed that the shifting was sticky while training so the bike not only needed a good wash but also some lubricant. I spent a good hour cleaning the bike with solvent and then wiping the grease off the chain and lubing all the key points on the bike. The effort was worth it as my bike looked brand new, except for the dirty, sweat-caked handle bars. I also set my bike computer so I should get accurate miles and mph readings. The first time I did it I screwed up the wheel size measurement so it doubled my speed which I found out about when I was out hill climbing. I know before the injury I could climb okay but never up 10th avenue at 14 mph. I am no Marco Pantani. So on the next hill climb session my speedometer will measure the more pedestrian but accurate 7-8 mph on the climbs. Bummer.













The bike on the trainer.












Dusty wheels

No comments: